The City of Andrews was incorporated on February 2, 1937. On June 9, 1959, the citizens of Andrews adopted a charter with the Council - Manager form of city government. The city operates under this structure consisting of 5 Council Members, Mayor, and serving a current population of 9,652.
In 1961, the Municipal Administration building was constructed at the corner of N. E. 1st and Logsdon Avenue. The Facility currently houses most of the city offices including the Municipal Court. A public safety building, housing both the police and emergency service personnel, was constructed in 2003 and is located at 130 N Main.
A dedicated workforce and efficient operating structure enables the City of Andrews to maintain extremely low charges for service. The City’s property tax rate remains the same at .1966/100 valuation, the second lowest in Texas of cities over 5,000 population. Also, the City’s minimum utility bill for Water, Sewer and Sanitation service is the lowest in West Texas. The low cost of services contributes to an overall low cost-of-living in Andrews.
Exciting changes continue for the City of Andrews with the new Andrews Economic Development Corporation. A new 50 acre south Business Park and tax abatement incentives are just a few of the many opportunities Andrews is creating to support existing companies and entice new businesses to the area. These are exciting times in Andrews. A forward-thinking leadership has taken a shared community vision to produce over $70M in public investment in the last five years. The City of Andrews is a leader in improving quality of life, supporting good growth and development, and strengthening infrastructure and a long-term water supply.
City Council members are elected by cumulative vote by place and the Mayor is elected by single-vote majority. Each Councilman has one vote, with the Mayor breaking tie votes only. The positions are currently held by:
Pam Brownlee (Mayor Pro Tem)
City Council meets at City Hall, 111 Logsdon, at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. For more information please contact City of Andrews.